Dad took me to chemo at 10 a.m. I had already taken the pills I was told to take this morning: 2 dexamethasone and 1 promethazine, plus my regular old Levoxyl. I was hoping to get a shot at working the puzzle they keep in the waiting room, but no luck.
When the nurse came to get me to draw blood, she was able to access and print the blood results from yesterday's surgery, so I didn't have to have more blood taken. Yippee! She was concerned about the level of iron in my blood, which was 26, because it was too low, so she consulted with Dr. W. They decided to give me some iron along with the chemo, and a shot to jumpstart the bone marrow making more blood cells. Apparently 32 is the lowest iron level doctors like to see in blood.
The chemo room is L-shaped, and has blue vinyl-covered recliners arranged around, which vaguely resemble LaZBoys, but don't look as cushiony. Mine had a giant 9 stencilled on the side. A tiny little flip-up table is attached to the right side. As I was leaving, I saw someone with a bigger table set up in front of them. I wonder if they are just available for the asking.
The first thing they attached to my port was saline solution, and then two drugs to combat allergic reactions: benedryl and avoxil. Benedryl always makes me sleepy, and sure enough, I drifted off for a while. Next came some more anti-nausea fluid. I didn't progress to the chemo medicines until about noon. Their initials are T and C, but I've forgotten their polysyllabic scientific monikers, so TC will have to do. Those lasted until about 2:15 p.m., and then I got iron and a shot. I have to come in tomorrow for another shot. I was actually finished about 2:45, and so I waited for Dad outside on the benches in front of the office.
Dad has probably read more magazines in the last two days than the last six months combined. He just sat quietly until lunch time and then went off, and came back with some chicken nuggets for me, which was very wonderful, as I had forgotten I was supposed to bring my snacks with me.
My friend Janet was waiting when I got home, with pictures of her bald head and wig from her experience with breast cancer, and a whole box of videos and DVDs for me. Sariah made us peach smoothies, which were very refreshing. We had a good chat, and she got to meet Steve before she left and our friends Bryan and Sara came to take us out to dinner and Sara's concert.
We went to the Bombay House, of course, and the concert was wonderful. I was still feeling very good, not a bit sick, but I was so tired by the end that I was sleeping on Steve's shoulder. I did manage to take my anti-nausea pill before I collapsed into bed. The strange thing is that my cheeks and chin are flushed, but I don't have a fever.
