Tuesday, November 18, 2008

We have the flu. Jason spent some time by the porcelain throne Sunday morning, Joseph got it Sunday night, and Haruka carried it to her house and had it Monday morning. Bethany hasn't had to run to the bathroom, but she has been laying in bed clutching a mixing bowl, so she's not going to school either. Sariah stayed home a couple of days last week with unhappy innards. Steve said he was feeling yucky this evening, so I sent him to bed early, hoping that he'd get over it and not have to plan for a sub, which is almost as much work as actually going in to teach.

I was extremely careful when removing soiled sheets from Joe's bed in the night, and helping him shower and get clean pjs and spreading out the minimum clean bedding necessary, and getting him a mixing bowl. I washed my hands and arms up to the elbows with plenty of hot water and soap and sang the ABC song twice for good measure. Apparently Joe had another episode which Steve took care of in the night, because I awoke to find baking soda spread liberally in the hallway and Joseph on a sheet spread on the floor.

I know that I'm supposed to go to Aunt Amy's house to stay away from germs, but if I do, I don't know who will take care of the sickness chaos. Steve is perfectly capable and probably willing, but that brings us back to the substitute issue. I definitely don't want to give it to Mom's crowd if Haruka hasn't already. I am praying constantly that I won't get it, and I repeat the hand/arm washing ritual as often as I dare. No cracked bleeding hands yet. Whew. Thank the Lord that Chris and Nathaniel haven't shown signs of catching it.

We now have another baking soda spot on the family room floor. Steve learned this trick from a school custodian, who came in to sprinkle magic powder on his classroom carpet one day after a student hadn't followed the protocol of grabbing the trash can and running from the room, Steve's signal that sickness is imminent. He trains his classes every year to NOT come to him and say, "I feel si-UUUUURRRRRP!" Ick. Anyway, the custodian divulged that the main ingredient in his magic powder was baking soda -- it soaks up the liquid and takes away the smell, and you can leave it on the spot for a day or two and then vacuum it right up. Very handy.

This reminded me of the nasty flu episode right after Reuben was born, when everybody got it except Jason and me, even my mother who came to help, and we just kept washing sheets and hands and arms and praying fervently that we wouldn't get it. I was so worn out by the weekend, when Sariah had her baptism, that I could hardly walk. I remember liking my bed a lot after that week, too.

No comments: