Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Another nice thing about chemo is that it gives me an excuse to use the motorized shopping carts in Maceys without feeling guilty. Today was my second time, the first being Labor Day, just a few days after surgery. I decided to resort to this method after almost blacking out and fainting twice today. This time I did much better at driving and only bumped over one display of chocolate and strawberry ice cream syrup, which Chris helped me fix. Thereafter I drove more carefully around corners. Stopping without running into things was also difficult.

Chris is a joy to shop with. He doesn't throw tantrums about me saying no to toys and candy and strangely patterned stretchy gloves. He can reach the highest shelves, which others find just as helpful as I do, because he lends his services. He knows what kinds of things we usually buy and can find them on the shelves easily. He is so cheerful and good-natured and tells great jokes. He doesn't run around crazily with shopping carts, and he doesn't huff and puff when I discover that I forgot to look on aisle 9 for the gluten-free items. And all that on top of being my chauffeur! He even went into the dancewear store with me to buy new stocking tights for Nani, since I lost her other ones.

I felt better enough after dinner (freshly purchased Tombstone pizza) and the Board of Review, which turned out to be for only Chris since the other candidate was out of town, to go to ballet with Nanika. Phyllis told us last week that she was starting a beginning/intermediate class Wednesday evenings at 7, and we decided to go to it and see whether we like it more than the advanced one we've been going to on Tuesdays. Haruka and Bethany came along. The class was much more my speed, and therefore I'm sure I'll be much more sore this week afterward. I'm having a lot of fun dancing again, and it's nice to know that I'm exercising at least once a week in a method other than going up and down the stairs and walking to and from the car. Washing clothes can also be a mild workout for me, as is showering. I wonder how long it will be before I tackle the Big Quail Valley Hill again.

No comments: