Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Being germ-free is just about impossible, especially with children around. We have hand-washing regimens (sing the ABCs while you do) and no-coughing-on-mommy policies, but with four people in the house having runny noses, coughs and such I was bound to get something. Monday I was feeling lousy, with a sore throat and runny nose, and headache. Yesterday when I went to Dr. W's office for my iron shot I tried to locate a tissue box in every room because I'd used all the ones I had brought.

So I asked Steve and Jason to give me a blessing, which they did. Nanika called to see if I was going to dance Tuesday night, but I decided sleeping would help me feel better. And when I woke up today, I felt fine. No runny nose, no sore throat, no cough, no headache. In my opinion, a miracle. The shortest cold on record.

I have decided that since my Purple Port insists acting like a completely separate part of me in annoying ways, it should have its own identity. Therefore, I have named it Penelope. I forgot to tell Steve this fact until he was hugging me and I said, "Ouch, you're hurting Penelope," and he looked at me like I was insane, which of course I am. I think he's rather relieved that Penelope turned out to be made of plastic.

The other fun thing that happened this week is that on Monday, another package arrived for Mme. J. Hortensia, with HATS! A letter was included, which read, "Herein is the culmination of several evenings worth of effort and belabored discussion with heated opinions flaring from persons of many sizes and artistic sentiments. Fear not; after much tribulation cometh the unanimity. May you get your head around these and wear in peace. Dear regards, Your Far-off Beloveds." Thanks, Su, Naomi, Kent, and Jan!

[pictures coming]

I enjoy all the hats people have given me, because then it's like hairdos -- I can choose which one I want that day, depending on my mood and what else I'm wearing. It's not that I'm ashamed of my near-baldness, but it is getting cold outside, and sometimes my head is cold inside the house too! I never knew how much fun hats could be.

No comments: